ECOEA Winter Workshop
Saturday, January 30, 2021
This year we are offering a variety of sessions for you so you can design your own workshop. Whether you are an early career or mid-career teacher (certified member, STRS member) or a ESP (classified member, SERS member), we start the day with a variety of sessions to help you understand your money from paycheck to retirement, as well as a diverse choice of sessions designed for you to attend right from home! We won’t be snowed out!
- 9:00 AM-10:00 AM-STRS RETIREMENT COUNTDOWN with Tamla Cole, STRS member education assistant director. Are you a certified employee with retirement just a few short years away, maybe thinking you’d like to retire early? Then you need to attend this session as Tamla will give you the timeline and details that you need to follow.
- 10:00 AM-11:00 AM- EARLY CAREER FINANCIAL HEALTH, with Tamla Cole, for the early career certified educator. This session emphasizes the importance of overall financial health (i.e., reducing debt, increased savings) with an overview of retirement benefits. Just starting your career is overwhelming enough; get on the right path to financial security while learning about your valuable STRS retirement plan.
- 9:00 AM -11:00 AM-SERS-Welcome to the State Employees Retirement System– Learn more about your SERS pension system and, if you are already retired, how your SERS pension works with your Social Security benefits. This is for our classified members. Presented by Cameron Vaughan, SERS Member Education.
- 9:00 AM-11:00 AM-Cultural Humility, with Isaac Baez of Stark County Mental Health and Addiction Recovery. Isaac will lead members in an exploration of cultural and racial bias.
11:00 AM-11:15 AM BREAK
- 11:15 AM-12:45 PM Our keynote speaker is Melissa McClain of Akron Children’s Hospital who will present Secondary Traumatic Stress through the Lens of the Pandemic. We welcome back Melissa to our member workshop! Melissa presented at our Summer Leadership just two years ago. Has there ever been a year of such stress as this? Join us as Melissa gives some much needed destressing tips.
12:45 PM-1:00 PM BREAK
- 1:00 PM-2:30 PM-OTES 2.0 Update with Ellen Adornetto, OEA Education Policy and Practice. Ellen will bring you up-to-date on OTES 2.0 as district move toward this evaluation model. Know what to negotiate and what are your rights under OTES 2.0.
- 1:00 PM-2:30 PM-Nearly Perfect Interactive Lessons with Nearpod with Jake Miller, host of the Educational Duct Tape podcast series and one of the top 30 K-12 IT influencers according to EdTech magazine. Jake did a summer series for us this past year and is back by popular demand. It will be fun!
Earn PD hours for the total sessions you attend. No charge to attend. Build your workshop to fit your needs; you can all day or part. Registration closes January 22, 2021 or when the class session is full. Remember to use your non-school email address as we will not send your session link to a school address.
Online registration has closed. You can still join us by calling the ECOEA office at (330) 499-8587 before Friday, January 29.